Creating a StorySphere
In this class activity, we will be finding interesting spaces in and around Newhouse and capturing 360 photos of them. We will upload them to a site called StorySpheres and load the stories on our phones.
First, you need to capture a panoramic photo and upload it to StorySpheres. Here's how to do that:
- Download the Street View app on your phone.
- Tap the Plus (+) icon at the bottom, and choose Camera.
- Point the camera at different dots until every photo in the sphere is filled in. Tap the check mark when done.
- Scroll down and you will see an indication that Street View is making your spherical photo. When it's done, you will have a new photo in your phone's camera roll, usually in an album labeled Panoramas.
- Once photos are in there, go to StorySpheres.com from your phone and log in with your Google ID.
- Tap the icon at the upper left and choose Create. Upload the photo you just created.
- After this you can click Preview and load your storysphere in Google Cardboard.
- If you create enough individual story spheres, you can link them together from Storyspheres.com and add audio narration.
When you're done, come back and share your StorySphere with the class. Some discussion points:
- What did you learn about capturing still panoramic photos?
- What worked? What went horribly wrong?
- How did the panorama look when viewed in Cardboard?
You can compare the StorySpheres you create to the experiences in the Viewmaster Cardboard viewer and Viewmaster apps in the innovation lab.